[LAU] Steinway_IMIS2 soundfont

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Tue Jul 3 05:40:43 EDT 2007

Marcos Guglielmetti <marcospcmusica at gmail.com> writes:

> Hey, it's a really nice song, I was listening to it 20 times or so,
> I will show it to my friends.

Thank you. :) And likewise to the others who've commented -- glad you
liked it.

> * midi controller (midi keyboard)?

It's a Studiologic SL 990 Pro, which is a piano-sized weighted
keyboard. It was cheap and feels nice to play, but it has the downside
that its key action is very loud -- you can hear it thumping away on
the main vocal track on the recording.

> * mic and mixer console?

Behringer B-1 and UB1002FX. (But the mixer's only being used as a mic
preamp in this case; all the real mixing's done in Ardour.)

> * software? did you added some reverb? (it seems not)
> * why didnt you used a gate for the voice channel?

There's a little bit of reverb and compression on the original, but it
was a pretty quick recording so I didn't spend much time mixing it...

Here's a "morning after version" with some more tweaking -- added
gates and reverb for the vocal tracks as you suggested:
  http://offog.org/music/sunburnt-v2.ogg

> Also: do you feel that the FF layer should start sounding at lower MIDI
> velocities, I mean, when you press the keyboard with lesser power?

I think if anything it's a bit *too* sensitive at the moment -- I had
to turn the velocity sensitivity down on my keyboard to avoid
triggering the ff layer all the time.

> Do you think that the MF layer should sound brighter?
> Do you think it needs a PP layer?

The mf layer sounds fine to me. I'm all in favour of having more
ability to play quietly, though. ;)

> BTW: where are you from?

Canterbury in the UK.

> BTW2: I like short nights ;) Now here in Argentina the sun is down
> at 18hs and it's a little bit sad.

Heh -- oddly enough since I wrote the song a couple of weeks ago, it's
been raining pretty much continuously here...

Thanks very much,

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>