[LAU] Jackmidi question

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jul 3 12:22:15 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 18:17 +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> In Jul 3 A.D. 2007 Paul Davis scripsit:
>
> > On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 16:35 +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >   If I connect a midi-client to jack-midi and send midi-start, does this send
> > > jack_transport start as well?
> > >   And the other way aroud, if some app send a jack_transport start, does this
> > > send a midi-start to all connected midi-clients?
> >
> > no and no.
>   Pity! Can I circumvent this problem. Thig is I have the following: a
> midi-sequencer, that only understands raw-midi, but could be connected to
> virtual-midi card and I have jack-audio client. I want them to start
> simultaneously on either midi-start or jack_transport start. Unfortunitely
> ecasound sending midi-start doesn't really work on it.

you'd have to write a "bridge" JACK client that translates as best it
can between JACK transport state changes and some set of MIDI messages.
there is no broadcast facility in JACK either, so you have to manually
connect every receiving client that you want to see messages to the
"bridge" client.

--p