[LAU] Video of a Linux laptop being played live

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jul 13 04:05:04 EDT 2007

Ken Restivo wrote:

> Although the laptop itself is off-screen, you can hear it:
>
> http://www.restivo.org/blog/archives/169

[snips]

> The bass and keyboard sounds are both coming out of fluidsynth, on an
> ASUS Core 2 Duo laptop, into an M-Audio FastTrack Pro USB interface,
> with one channel going into a Roland KC-150 keyboard amp and the
> other into a bass amp.  The Rhodes is going through several LADSPA
> plugins on its way out to the amp. The bass is dry. On this night I
> was borrowing the bass amp from the headline band, and it wasn't
> exactly the sound I usually like to get.

Sounds really cool and good to me, who doesn't otherwise like jazz. The
Rhodes sounds really good. What plugins are you running it through? The
bass sound doesn't come across well to me, maybe it's just my hearing.

I've gotta get my pieces all connected and working together!

> Alas, the big Tux logo on the laptop was not visible because it was
> hidden by the bar railing in front of the stage. I'm finding I like
> to place the laptop facing against walls, pillars, railings, and
> other solid objects, so that it is less likely to be knocked over.

Bummer in South Park! But very sensible.

I saw Al Dimeola performing solo once, with a Mac handling MIDI stuff.
He had it on the floor down by his feet. Fortunately, he doesn't move
around much while he plays!

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com