[LAU] newbie to Linux audio

wes schreiner wes at infosink.com
Tue Jul 17 22:33:17 EDT 2007

Russell Button wrote:
> I'm going to have to pass. USB 1.x just isn't going to cut it for 24
> bit, 96 kHz, live location recording.

I've been using an Edirol UA-5 for 2 channel, 24 bit, 96 KHz live
location recording, with phantom power, over USB 1.1 for a couple of
years and it works fine.  I was even using it with an old Thinkpad 600E,
266 MHz PII.  The UA-5 does need external 9 VDC power.  Some people buy
way more equipment than they need.  On the software side, I record with
Jack Timemachine.  Later I EQ and master the recording with Ardour and
Jamin.  Some people run way more software than they need too.