[LAU] newbie to Linux audio

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Wed Jul 18 13:27:31 EDT 2007

On 18 July 2007 at 13:12, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> doesn't really matter. it was established as much as 80 years ago (and
> possibly longer) that non-blind or even single-blind testing infallibly
> distorts the results of any kind of evaluation, whether its house paint,
> toothpaste, shoe comfort, chili powder or audio quality. any time you
> want to establish that something is subjectively better than something
> else, you owe it to yourself to figure out how to do that using double
> blind techniques. its not about you, or the thing being tested. its
> about the way human perception and psychology work.

Even objective test benefit from double-blind testing, for instance
drug efficacy tests.  So, I agree with folks suggesting a blind test.

It'd be fun to read the results of a good double-blind test of the
"Resolution Project" DVD-A from someone with a really good listening
room.  Where I listened was fair, but not as good as a rung out
recording studio.

> > guitar player, and they run at 44.1kHz.  I believe ardour wants
> > all of it's data in the same format for each project, though
> > projects can differ from each other.
>
> ardour doesn't care, but it also doesn't dynamically resample, so if you
> mix sample rates, you will get pitch-shifting effects.

OK, noted.

Thanks....

--
Kevin