[LAU] how does ubuntu studio compare to jacklab?

Edgar Aichinger edogawa at aon.at
Mon Jul 23 10:44:08 EDT 2007

Am Montag, 23. Juli 2007 schrieb Thomas Kuther:
> On So, 22.07.07 14:44 Robert Persson <ireneshusband at gmail.com> wrote:

> > How does Ubuntu Studio compare to JackLab?
> >
> > The reason I asked is because I want to set up a workstation that
> > (hopefully) will be dedicated to audio and video, although I might
> > still find that I need to use it for graphics, research, writing,
> > email etc.
> >
> > The relevant factors that I am aware of so far include the following:
> >
> > 1. Ubuntu doesn't ship with wineasio. This means, if I have understood
> > this correctly, that I would have to patch and compile wine myself to
> > get working asio and jack support, which would in turn mean that I
> > would have to do patch and compile it again and again every time a new
> > version of wine appeared in the repository. I don't want to be
> > worrying about that kind of stuff. If wineasio were made available in
> > a 3rd-party repository, this would probably cease to be a problem.
>
> As of wine-0.9.40 the ALSA midi patches got merged into upstream wine,
> no need to patch anymore.

Just to clarify, the patch for wine which was necessary up to 0.9.38 only
corrected the somewhat broken and incomplete MIDI Input in the wine ALSA driver,
otherwise the plugins would not receive any MIDI data... as Thomas said, this
has been integrated in mainline wine now.

Wineasio is just a small source file which should easily build and install with
wine, wine-devel, alsa-devel and jack-devel (or whatever the development packages
are called in ubuntu). But you also need to get the ASIO SDK from Steinberg to
build it, which maybe the reason nobody made a package for ubuntu yet. To my
understanding it is perfectly legal to distribute the binary driver and the
sources as the wineasio source is LGPL'ed.

Edgar