[LAU] Tests of Linux DAWs

Rob lau at kudla.org
Wed Jul 25 17:04:57 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 25 July 2007, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> Yikes.  I'm running Mandriva 2007.0 (Spring is 2007.1 I think).
> I don't have the same issues that you're having.  The thing I
> have to be careful of is that when I first login KDE has started
> artsd, which I don't have any use for.  I configured Rosegarden

I do have KDE set to not automatically start the sound server.  But
yeah, I'm on 2007.1, not 2007.0, and 2007.0 on my partner's and
friends' computers does seem a little more stable media-wise.

> start-up to kill artsd.  At one time I tried to get Rosegarden to
> restart artsd when it exited.  But, that just caused Rosegarden
> to crash and artsd didn't start.  I routinely use Ardour 2.0.3,
> Rosegarden 1.5.1, Audacity 1.3.0 and Amarok 1.4.3 without any
> issues.  My Jack is version 0.102.5 and ALSA is 1.0.12.  These

I just noticed there was a RG 1.5.1 package available in backports,
and installed it, and it doesn't crash on startup.  We'll have to see
how it goes when I have time to record something.  LMMS still crashes
on startup with a segv.

Wish I had time to fire up gdb or file bug reports whenever this stuff
happens, but as it is, it takes me a week just to get around to
fixing ALSA when it stops working.  (Took me 3 hours to finish
writing this reply.)  I hope someday to get back to the point where
firing up a composing/recording environment and laying down a track
is as effortless as firing up Openoffice or Kmail and typing away....
like it was ten years ago under Windows 95.

Rob