[LAU] programs (eg. rosegarden) don't see my usb midi device

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sat Jul 28 11:47:15 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 11:52:16AM -0700, Alessandro Preziosi wrote:
> update:
> I booted into an ubuntu live cd and the um-1s worked, I took a look at the loaded modules (a LOT!):
> (the arrows shows which modules I did not have)
>
> snd_rtctimer
> snd_usb_audio
> snd_usb_lin
> --->snd_hwdep
>
> ^these were loaded after inserting the device I think
>
> snd_hda_intel
> snd_hda_codec
> --->snd_pcm_oss
> --->snd_mixer_oss
> --->snd_pcm
> snd_seq_dummy
> snd_seq_oss
> --->snd_seq_midi
> --->snd_rawmidi
> snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq
> --->snd_timer
> snd_seq_device
> --->snd

The kernel you are using is somehow not correctly configured, or the ALSA part of it is broken, at least, or maybe the udev/hotplug facility. These "missing" modules are all vital for ALSA to operate.

Maybe ask on the ALSA list?  Or the list for whatever distro shipped a kernel that does not load the snd_FOO modules properly when you plug in a USB MIDI device?