[LAU] [OT] OLPC2OLPOTH 100$pc also for over-the-hills plz

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sat Jul 28 14:44:00 EDT 2007

On Saturday 28 July 2007, <> wrote:
> the ASUS EEE is supposd to retail for 199 USD or so. there was a
> 200 euro laptop on slashdot the other day. so is the lowest DELL
> with a discount or two - theyre saying the OLPC will cost this much
> anyways - theres no way they can really beat quanta/compal/asus at
> their own game, price-wise.. although perhaps they have an edge in
> software innovation (the EEE runs a trimmed down Linux)

Yeah, the OLPC currently costs $175 to make, whereas the Eee will
supposedly retail for $200.  (Whenever the OLPC is available here,
they're saying it'll be sold at double its material cost, minimum.)

I'm thinking of picking up an Eee for my mom for her birthday or xmas
(their old desktop machine is pretty much her husband's personal
Solitaire game), and if I do, you bet I'll be trying to get Jack
working on it.  Don't know how successful I'll be since it tragically
runs Xandros which last I heard didn't ship a lot of audio stuff
standard (and the Eee will be stripped down further still, to fit on
its little flash drive.)

Of course, by the time I do that, someone else on this list will
undoubtedly have already gotten one.  They're too cheap not to.

Rob