[LAU] Realtek ALC882D

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Sat Jul 28 19:12:49 EDT 2007

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:07:44 -0700
"Thomas Vecchione" <seablaede at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry Sampo mentioned this thread elsewhere and I came back to it...
>
> I will STRONGLY reiterate what Sampo has said.  Even beyond that I will add
> a few things...
>
> Re:19 VDC

I would like to add a few comments here.

Total isolation on the power side of a lot of equipment is now an
economic prospect. I have a Sound Canvas that requires 9V at 1 amp and
an SY35 that requires 0.8A at 12 V. What I have done is to put DC-DC
converters in the dc power lines. That way the power bricks are
correctly earthed but there is no earth loop on the other side (these
converters are typically isolated to 2000V). You have the added
advantage that the supply is now regulated and well filtered (where the
power brick usually isn't). These modules are typically 30ukp.

The only part of my system that has a direct earth is the computer
itself, all other supplies are floated SAFELY. The amp I use for
monitoring is relatively low powered and is plugged into a small safety
isolating transformer.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk