[LAU] Convert from WMA to ... ?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Tue Jul 31 18:21:40 EDT 2007

On 1 August 2007 at 0:03, Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 31 July 2007, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > >
> > > If mplayer ca play it, this might work:
> > > mplayer -ao pcm input.wma -ao pcm:file=output.wav
> > >
> > > (at least it does for mp3)
> >
> > Is there anyway for mplayer to write OGG instead of WAV?  I can
> > convert from WAV to OGG with oggenc, but it'd be nice not to have to
> > spend the disk space intermediately.
>
> can't mplayer write to stdout?

Yes, and oggenc's "--help" claims that it can read from stdin, but this:

mplayer -ao pcm input.wma -ao pcm:fast | oggenc --raw - --output=output.ogg

doesn't work.  The resulting OGG file is nothing but header.  oggenc
won't allow stdin unless I use --raw.  That requires "headerless" WAV.
It seems the default for mplayer is "waveheader" for pcm, and I can't
figure out how to change that.  My piped command might work, if I
could turn off the header.  I've also played with SoX, but haven't
managed to get that to work yet either.

Thanks....

--
Kevin