[LAU] JACK MIDI - where? how?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jun 4 21:01:53 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 20:12 -0400, carmen wrote:
> On Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 06:20:44PM -0500, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> > > work. namely use http://subversion.jackaudio.org/jack/branches/midi/jack
> > > and add the -X flag to jackd initiation (i could only get raw working)
> > >
> > > Midi driver is the the trunk already :)
> > > http://subversion.jackaudio.org/jack/trunk
> >
> >  so just to make sure I understand you correctly, to get jack midi
> >  working on my box I would need to completely uninstall the debian
> >  version and install from source, correct?
>
> no.. you can install your version in parallel - typical user compiled software ends up in /usr/local/ by default, and /usr/local/bin is usually in $PATH before /usr/bin.

you should be banished from LA* forever for this comment.

no regular user should EVER EVER EVER EVER install JACK in two locations
on their machine. we deal with endless problems with this attempt.
please do not recommend it.

if you want to install from source, you need to use --prefix=/usr at the
configure step. or face all kinds of puzzling and irritating behaviour.

--p