[LAU] Proposal: OpenDAWS (long)

Nick Copeland nickycopeland at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 6 14:47:17 EDT 2007

By your own remarks there are already issues with the specification that may
require modifications and optimisations for an open system, such as Linux
for example, so you recognise the possiblity that changes would be required.
Those changes would have to be raised through the consortium via a paying
member as the consortium does not accept requests from outside of their cosy
liittle circle. Should the community to accept that requirement?

You state that you do not understand my objections? They are simple, I stand
on the side of open source, open standards, and general implementation
without fees, demands, legal recourses or other futher liabilities, and as
yet this organisation posts documents refering to the liabilities of those
who implement their specification.

If you do decide to accept this standard then I hope that minimally you can
get your friends at the BBC and related organisations to accept removing
their demands for royalties of the applications implementing their XML
specification. I would prefer that were linux to adopt such a standard that
it were released under GPL for those who wish to adopt rather than for those
who might be able to simply via some form of dispensation from a commercial
organisation.

If Linux cannot accept their so called standard due to the nature of its
licensing then perhaps work is still needed on an open standard since the
body of work represents a requirement. The proposal of the original posting
was such an open document.

On the other hand, if you only want your application to accept those demands
then by all means implement it, but then also refrain from even suggesting
to the open source community that such an open standard already exists when
evidently that is not the case, as you did in your rather terse submit.
Strangely enough, your promotion of this consortium amost seemed targetted
at preventing the implementation of an open and hence competitive
alternative, and that seems strangely close to business practices of several
frowned upon companies.

n.