[LAU] ALSA, Java and MIDI ports

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Tue Jun 12 08:49:57 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 12 June 2007, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have tried this Java app http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/
> with Sun's jdk 5 and 6, and have tried to find app's MIDI ports on
> qjackctl's MIDI tab, but without success. 'hdsp' alsa driver is in use for
> RME HDSP9632, and the card's MIDI ports are visible. The app's preferences
> dialog shows the only choice for MIDI device, and it is called "DSP
> [hw:0,0]".
>
> Any help?

Works fine on my setup! BTW, thanks for the lead to this program.
I do not know your setup but DSP would seem to be an audio device.
Many folks still have problems with multiple connections to a device, even
though recent ALSA ostensively allows this. Make sure that nothing else is
busying the device. Turn off arts, stop jack, etc.