[LAU] Re: [LAA] Traverso 0.40.0 Released

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Thu Jun 14 09:37:06 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 02:53:03PM +0200, Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:

> Bad wordings. I ment that traversos interface is about efficiency, or at
> least that the main focus is about efficiency. Thats how it appears
> too me. It might be simple and intuitive too though, I haven't given that
> much thought. :-)

Some things it currently does sure seem very efficient. There are gaping
holes in functionality, though. Not being able to do something at all
is the least efficient ;)
Note that I don't want to bash the Traverso project. It's young and
promising and it being incomplete no surprise. Pitching it against Ardour
is a bad joke, though.

To add some substance:
Editing gain and pitch via holding G and P are very nice. Fade in/out
editing is very well doen, too. Zooming vertically / horrizontaly with
Z is interesting. But I miss a zoom-to-all and zooming to a range /
selection. There's currently no persistent / multiple selection, so
you can't move several clips at once or split them all at the same
position. There seem to be no crossfades and no automation tracks.

Calling interfaces intuitive is highly problematic. If you only accept
what humans are born with, pure instinct as a base for inuition, there's
nothing that could be called intuitive in human computer interaction at all.
If we add experience, things that work like what we already know would be
intuitive. But maybe the interfaces we know are not that good? A better
interface would be less intuitive, then.

> Well, I would like for another daw to take over so that the good
> programmers would work on that other daw instead. Unless; Ardour either
> gets a significantly more efficient user interface, or it gets support for
> an extension language so that it will be possible to customize it without
> dwelling into thousands of lines of C++ code.

Ardour is evolving. Throwing away many many man-years because some user
thinks the interface is inefficient is a bad idea. Improvment step by step
is a better idea. But of course, different concept ideas and preferences of
different toolkits are always a fine reason for yet another project.

--
Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Design for Free Software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com