[LAU] pitch correction

Tim Howard tdhoward at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 11:17:21 EDT 2007

On 6/21/07, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I'm going to jump in here too. I built and tested ardourvst yesterday on
> my new 32-bit machine (openSUSE 10.2, JAD distro). As advertised, some
> plugs brought things to a halt immediately, some took a bit of time
> before crashing, and some actually worked.
>
> The crashes are almost always accompanied by the RenderBadPicture error,
> which is apparently an insoluble problem. Does anyone know how to get
> around it ? I've tried changing settings in winecfg, got no joy.

One thing that has helped a lot for me is changing the "window manager
is allowed to control Wine applications" setting in winecfg.  Perhaps
you have already played with that a bit, though.  I can't remember
which option I settled for, but it worked significantly better.
Sorry, that's not much help...

> For example, GSnap comes up okay, but if I try to set the key the plugin
> crashes (and takes ardour with it) with the X error. I tried the normal
> and skinned versions. Btw, WINE is 0.9.37.

One thing that I've discovered about GSnap is that it (usually) works
great as long as you don't bring up the key setting dialog.  So I just
set up the key by selecting the appropriate notes on the displayed
keyboard, and that works great.  It's goofy, but it works.

> Effects working here include the dfxTransverb, North Pole, and the SIR
> convolver. The SIR plug is hilarious though, it runs CPU usage up into
> 1e+ on an AMD64 3800+ processor, not exactly a usable situation.
>
> I'll continue testing. Like Jan, I'm also looking for recommended plugs.

I've had good luck with the Fish Fillets, but I see they are not
available from the developers site any more...

-TimH