[LAU] Source for glitchy drums?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jun 23 07:48:05 EDT 2007

Hallo,
Ken Restivo hat gesagt: // Ken Restivo wrote:

> I'm starting to enjoy glitchy percussion sounds I'm hearing in a lot
> of computer music these days, and want to experiment with those.
>
> I've asked around about how people are making these sounds, and the
> answers I get are "Battery", "Redrum", and "Reason".  All firmly
> wedged closed and proprietary. of course.
>
> Are there any good free tools for making glitchy drum sounds, which
> do not require the use of WINE? If the answer to that is
> "SC/CSound/PD/ChucK", that's fantastic, can anyone point me to some
> particularly good source code or patches for glitchy drums in those
> languages that I could start experimenting with?

I attached a simple Pd patch, which can be used to explore glitchy
sounds created from playing short sections  of a sample with a short
volume envelope, that doesn't ramp, but jumps to 1 on attack. Not
ramping will automatically generate that clicky sound. Additionally a
simple "tanh-like" distortion is applied to the sound.

Just try loading any sample (44.1kHz, wav/aiff) you have on your disk
and play with the toggles. The "randomize-start" toggle switches
selecting a random start point in the sample.

If you have found a nice glitchy sound, you can export it to a file
with the "record" message. Remember to switch off the randomization
before recording, otherwise you will not record the previous segment,
but a new one.

Ciao