[LAU] Migrating to 64-bit

Thomas Ilnseher illth at gmx.de
Tue Jun 26 03:53:10 EDT 2007

Am Montag, den 25.06.2007, 18:28 -1000 schrieb david:
> Thomas Ilnseher wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 23.06.2007, 10:35 -1000 schrieb david:
> >> Hmm, the Atheros wireless chipsets seem to have good support in
> >> general
> > I have an abit airpace (desktop wlan card) with an atheros chipset.
> > 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG
> > 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
> >
> > I could not get this to work.
> >
> > the hal refuses to load on this chipset, cause the subsystem IDs (!!)
> > are not known to it. openhal doesn't support it, so also no luck.
>
> Hmmm, I never went through HAL for wireless support. I downloaded and
> compiled the WiFi drivers. But I don't have that chipset or 64-bit
> hardware - the 64-bit hardware might be the source of the problem.
No the hal in this case is NOT the hald you might refer to. It's the
module ath_hal.ko that comes with madwifi. This consists of a closed
source lib and some interface glue c files. this module creates an
abstract if to the hardware, which the madwifi driver itself uses.

> > the last resort was ndiswrapper, so i tried to d/l some generic xp64
> > drivers for this chipset, but you guessed - it also doesn't work.
>
> Probably a victim of trying to run 32-bit software (ndiswrapper) under
> 64-bit Linux. Or is there a 64-bit version of ndiswrapper?

there is a 64bit version of ndiswrapper. (of course you need XP 64 bit
windowze drivers).

obviously, I would not have been able to compile, and load 32bit stuff
in an 64 bit kernel.
> > and i can't use the original drivers from abit, cause they were smart
> > enough to stick all files in an installshield sfx. unshield doesn't
> > work,
>
> Perhaps orange would?
nice info, thx a lot. I'll try it.

> > and under wine explains me that it it found no drivers.
>
> WINE is 32-bit, perhaps it's looking for 32-bit drivers, not 64-bit.
nope. the problem is that wine doesn't wrap / emulate the windows calls
to inquiry the hardware.

> Sounds like 64-bit doesn't quite have as much driver support as it should.

This might be the case, but it's not the problem here. i tried to boot
of an livecd, and compiled madwifi for 32bit, and it still won't work.

This is an genuine problem with closed source drivers (tm).