[LAU] Ext2 or Ext3 for Audio?

Hein Zelle hein at icce.rug.nl
Tue Jun 26 04:37:11 EDT 2007

Mark Knecht wrote:

>  If I was going to make the choice you suggest I'd likely go for ext2
>  as requires slightly less work for the system than carrying the
>  overhead of doing the ext3 stuff and I figure that I would never know
>  when I'm going to run out of compute cycles.

I'd seriously advise against that, if you don't absolutely have to.
You only need one occasion with a power failure or complete X lockup
(hard reset the only thing that works) to make ext3 worth your while
(or any journalling filesystem, for that matter).  If you need more
speed, I'd do yourself a favour and get a second drive, software
raid-0 or raid-5 is easy to configure and allows for huge write
speeds.  You do need to make sure that you move the data off the raid
0 array after your done, if you want more reliability for long-term
storage.

I believe it's even possible to make 2 partitions on each drive, and
configure a raid-0 array with the first set and a raid-1 array with
the second set.  I haven't tried this out for performance-testing, but
it should work.  If you make the raid-0 big enough for typical
recording, you can move the data to the raid-1 after your done.

Regards,
	Hein Zelle

--

 Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who
 it's friends are.

 Hein Zelle                     hein at icce.rug.nl
	                        http://www.icce.rug.nl/~hein