[linux-audio-user] What purpose does this list serve?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Mar 1 14:36:38 EST 2007

Greg Wilder wrote:
> On Thu March 1 2007 1:55 pm, Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
>>> You called the lurkers, so here I am. ;-)
>>>
>>> I don't have any problems with more open subjects in this list. After
>>> all, the more digressed subjects, come labeled Off Topic (at least,
>>> they should). I've learnt lots of interesting things with this list
>>> and think it would be bad for everyone to restrict the matters. If
>>> something has to do with linux and audio, it is wellcome here, ain't
>>> it?
>>>
>>> My 0.02 cents...
>> Make it 0.02 cents more,

what a waste of cents, if you can can get beer for free :)

>> I agree. Restricting topics would be a shame. Some apparently totally
>> useless topics scoring high on the digression scale sometimes turn out
>> to make unexpected "useful info" (not to all users I agree) just fall
>> out of the sky.
>>
>> And as far as the "I want to sound like my favorite band" subjects are
>> concerned, I find them very interesting to the users whom are the
>> primary target of this list. Even if there's no artistic point in
>> trying to sound like someone else, it is sometimes the occasion to
>> hear about a piece of software some lurkers may not have heard of.
>
> At no point did I suggest limiting list topics.  Of course it's true that the
> contributors of any list/forum determine the direction of discussions.  I
> kinda figured that folks were generally happy with the list - why else would
> they subscribe?
>
> But before I terminated my subscription, I wanted to express my general
> disappointment and I wondered if anyone else had similar feelings.

I'm torn. some of the Linux-Audio-user end-user discussions would
clearly be better suited for a Forum. - maybe even upload the song and
have both pointers and web-player...etc. radio-staion?  - OTOH
enthusiastic musicians  are a very important on this list and it would
be a shame to move their main attention to web-forums!

LAU should stay an open and central point for linux-audio resources of
any kind! if there's need that LAD can not accomadete, we should
consider a linux-audio-mastering or linux-audio-songs or linux-audio-pro
mailing list to refine gifts from the sky!

#robin