[linux-audio-user] composing with trackers

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Fri Mar 2 05:16:27 EST 2007

> Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>
>> I bet people's music would be far more beautiful if they would sing
>> freely and often and then transcribe what they were singing, instead
>> of transcribing before the music even exists.
>
> True!
>
> I completely abandoned composing at the computer for exactly that
> reason. I find it quicker to experiment with everything from melody,
> harmony, lyrics, modulations to form when at the piano. Also I found
> that I only make good tunes when playing and *singing* along.
>
> I'm sure others have succeeded where I failed, but that how it works for
> me.

To present a totally different angle - I learnt all my musical theory
using a tracker (never having done any traditional music except
bellringing years ago), and now livecode all my music, which feels like
the most natural way to do it for me.

Livecoding also means I can create visuals and animation *at the same
time* as music - which is kind of a goal in itself for me.

Also linux is a really good environment for this kind of experimentation.

cheers,

dave