[linux-audio-user] is jackmidi crucial? [was:] lv2dynparam

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Fri Mar 2 13:04:03 EST 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 06:40:15PM +0100, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
>
> >Having audio and MIDI perfectly synchronized is a must in my
> >vision. There is no point of using JACK if you use ALSA too.

> Really?

No point in said vision. Outside there is a point: it works right
now without a hasle.

> I haven't yet used it, and think alsa midi works just fine. Exactly
> where (real world scenarios, please) is jack-midi superior the the
> degree that the current approach is pointless?

Sample synchronous playback: the drums of the jack-midi triggered
drum-app will never move in relation to an audio track and be
perfectly tight.

Support of freewheeling: do faster than realtime mixdowns using
softsynths.

> And I'd also like to hear a quick hand up: Who's using jack midi
> exclusively and who's using alsa midi?

That's pointless, it's just too new and not nailed down yet ;)

--
Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Creature Illustrations:
http://www.printfection.com/thorwil