[linux-audio-user] audio/video player for theatre use anyone?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sat Mar 3 08:06:23 EST 2007

Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 07:09:56PM -0500, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
>>> Can't you extend an existing app rather than starting a new project?
>>> I know that Ardour has been used for sound installations, how are the
>>> requirements of a theater different?
>> Was looking at it, but at this time I am not sure Ardour is the best
>> choice.  Plus I gotta refresh my coding at the same time as its been a
>> while, ardour is not what I like to jump in on;)
>

> Recently there was some talk on #ardour regarding Ableton Live like
> features. Seems to me there could be quite some overlap between
> such loop-triggering and a theater sound playback system.
>
> Roughly we would need transport on a per track (and groups of tracks)
> basis (transport scopes). That might require deep changes, but wouldn't
> be too hard on the gui/interaction side.

Now that is a feature I'd be interested in: multiple jack transports  -
guess that solves loop-playing as well.

>> But then the question is, from a standpoint of accepting there is
>> limited time for people to spend on these things, which is going to
>> create a better product for it, one that is dedicated to a single use,
>> or one that is modified for multiple uses?
>
> Wouldn't there be a tremendous benefit from Ardour's existing features,
> full fledged arranging, cutting, automation?
>

> Not strictly for a theater system, but:
> I could also imagine a central 'hardware controler input mapping'
> application that allows to map events from MIDI/keyboard/mouse/joystick
> /tablet to every action other apps expose.

now that sounds just like an ardour-midi-light-automations-track - Cool!

> So you could for example map
> an octave of your MIDI keyboard to a loop-player but the rest to a
> softsynth.

like freewheeling.sf.net ?

> Such a beast should support jack transport for being able
> to delay action until the next bar/beat for loop-syncing :)

that wold be awesome. - i never quite got the hang of freewheeling sync
with the F1 laptop key-mode and it opens up much more possibilites..

#robin