[linux-audio-user] Midi recording

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Mon Mar 5 06:42:23 EST 2007

Bob van der Poel wrote:

> ...  I see a need to be able to split the MMA track into several audio
> tracks ... one for each MIDI track. So, question 1: what linux
> software will act as a synth which will split the midi out into
> separate audio tracks? I looked at timidity, and it doesn't appear to
> have that feature. If I've missed something there, I still have a
> problem with the quite awful default sounds it has ... so if I need to
> use timidity, where would I get better sounds. Or would I be better
> off to play/record the background multiple times though the hardware
> synth ... But I don't see how I'd ever get that synchronized.

I sometimes record exactly as you've described. I use QSynth set up for
separate engines per instrument, that way each engine can be assigned a
different audio connection in QJackCtl. I also use midirgui, a nice MIDI
channelizer/router that lets me set up discrete channel assignments so
that, for example, the engine playing the drums receives *only* messages
sent to channel 10 (and no other channels). Anyway, I route the audio
output to separate tracks in Ardour or ecasound, and voila, multitrack
recording from QSynth.

Btw, TiMidity uses soundfonts too, its sounds are only as good as the
font it renders.

> Question 2: Assuming that I have recorded a decent multi-track
> background, can I use audacity to record my sax playing off a mixer
> board? I've got a ICE1712 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96 audio card.

Sure, just route the mixer output into into one of your card inputs.
Make sure you check and test the output level.

HTH,

dp