[linux-audio-user] Ubuntu Edgy and M-Audio 1010LT

linuxmedia4 at netscape.net linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Fri Mar 9 05:56:37 EST 2007

>>> Howdy. So I need to take a stereo input from my M-Audio 1010LT input
>>> and have it record to a file, either .WAV or MP3. I'm not running KDE,
>>> strictly cli.

>> ecasound?
>>
>> http://eca.cx/ecasound/

 > Would I need anything else besides that package?
 >
 > -Mike

The native format for recording with ecasound is WAV. If you wanted to
record an MP3 you would have to install the appropriate "helper"
program. I think the one ecasound uses for writing an mp3 file is lame.
But there may be a way of changing that by editing the global config
file at --> /usr/share/ecasound/ecasoundrc, or the user file that I
(think) resides in ~/.ecasound/ecasoundrc.

I think it's best to stay with the native WAV format because it works
better with ecasound anyways. And there's no fussing with the correct
command line arguments in the ecasound config file for properly running
lame. There's good header info in a WAV file and a few years ago, I was
having problems doing seeks operations with an mp3. Maybe it's different
with current versions of ecasound.

Once you're happy with the WAV file, there's ways to convert to mp3
later. You can even do it with ecasound if you wanted to install lame.
The command line would look like....

ecasound -i:Original.wav -o:Converted.mp3

Rocco