[linux-audio-user] Legalities

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Sat Mar 10 21:36:27 EST 2007

Brett W. McCoy wrote:
> I think it's still illegal unless you have specific permission from
> the copyright holder, regardless of whetehr or not you are selling it.
> Posting a cover tune online may fall under the "public performance"
> rights law. Look out how freaked out they get over tablature put
> online...

Yes, I think you're correct ... which is probably what motivated me to
ask in the first place :) I suppose offering to pay <someone> a small
amount of money would make life so complicated it'd be easier not to.

Oh well, if nothing else, it'll motivate me to dump the cover tunes and
replace them with some old folk songs and some stuff I've written myself.

EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca