[linux-audio-user] Legalities

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Mar 10 23:38:59 EST 2007

Bob van der Poel wrote:

> Anyone know much about the legalities of posting music recorded by
> oneself, but written by someone else? I put up a few recordings on my
> web site, mostly as a demo of MMA ... but I got to wondering the other
> day if some nice lawyer is going to be knocking on my door? I'm not too
> worried since I do live in Canada, and the server is <somewhere in
> Europe>. But, still ... one has to wonder.
>
> In my case, I didn't write the music. But, I'm the "artist" (and
> recording engineer, etc.). And, I'm not selling anything. And, they are
> just demos.
>
> So, should I worry? Should I take them down?

Assuming the original composition was NOT released under some kind of
"free" license by the composer - you should get permission to
perform/record the composition. You MIGHT be liable for royalties.

My church pays royalties each year or quarter, I forget which, for the
songs we use in services.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com