[linux-audio-user] Re: Re: Legalities

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Mon Mar 12 11:18:44 EDT 2007

> >> I don't know the laws, but I would be extremely surprised if this is
> >> illegal in Europe.
> > Why?
> Because its unreasonable.

 No, I don't think it is...

> But this situations is different, this is a guy doing his own
> interpretations of other peoples music, and gives it away for free. He is

... you are allowed to perform somebody elses music but the minute you
distribute it you need permission from the copyright holder (or
publisher) [and that usually includes paying a fee].

In a similar vein you are allowed to play the latest N'sync CD to
your friends, but not give them a copy of it (I know there are exceptions
to that, at least in Sweden regarding close relatives, but you get the
picture).

Performing is under "fair use", distributing isn't.

- Peder