[linux-audio-user] My new mouse done ate my alsa sound

M P Smoak smoak at mis.net
Mon Mar 12 13:12:12 EDT 2007

On Sunday 11 March 2007 06:37 am, Jan Depner wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 01:44 -0500, M P Smoak wrote:
> > Please forgive me but I've got say:  Don't tell me my sys is old
> > and OS version is ancient.  It worked a few days ago to my
> > satisfaction.  I'm sick of hearing it.
> >
> > I'm running planet-ccrma rh9 on my machine Songbird for a long time
> > now.  I know it's old.  Dave P. put together for me several years
> > ago.  And it's met my needs.  I've tried (without success) to
> > replace it with a new machine; never got sound to work, power
> > supply fan sounds like a jet plane taking off; it'll work "some
> > day".
> >
> > But Songbird kept working; reliable in spades.
> >
> > Last week, the mouse (acting odd for a long time) got too bad to
> > use. So I take my friends advice and go to a usb mouse.  Halt the
> > machine; pull the ps2 mouse and plug in the use mouse.
> >
> > Boot; all seems to work well;  all works except SOUND!  Except my
> > old standby, Realplayer.  Alsaplayer doesn't play.  Soundfont loads
> > for my SBlive, alsa patch bay appears to work, QA mix looks as
> > usual, ....
> >
> > We had no keyboard for our session tonight.
> >
> > With RH9, I think I know, Reaplayer forces use of OSS emulation
> > from ALSA.  It works; I'm sitting here listening to CJRT via
> > Realplayer now.  My keyboard is dead.
> >
> > USB is stepping on ALSA.  I've searched, looked at all the logs I
> > can find and damned it I have any idea what's happened or how to
> > fix it if it's fixable.  I'm searching for a working ps2 mouse too.
>
>     You don't need a working PS2 mouse.  Get a USB to PS2 converter.
> I've got about twenty of the damn things at work.  They only cost
> about a buck.  I'll never understand why we ignore the PS2 port in
> favor of USB for simple stuff like mice and keyboards.

Thanks for the advice, Jan.  I'll be getting an converter to try today
I hope.  Have you had problems with usb interferring with sound on your
machines or were just trying to keep usb ports open for other devices?

I was hoping that maybe someone here knew about existing problems with
usb mice interferring with the alsa sound programs.  And maybe about
how to solve such problems.

Again thanks for you help,
Marv