OT. Amatuer vs professional was[Re: [linux-audio-user] apps.linuxaudio.org test updated]

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Mar 13 01:55:46 EDT 2007

On 10:47:48 pm 03/11/07 Robin Gareus

I agree with you on many points too.

My main point is to encourage everyone to look at the work that has been
done so far as professional quality, done by professionals and attempting
to present a professional face.

If there are issues with the execution or the outcome of many of the
projects it's a good thing to discuss how to make things better.

For example recently many people have spoken about the lack of accessible
and uptodate documentation. I would like to counter that it is all there in
the wild but we don't have a very complete way of presenting it to the
public.

There currently exists at least 10 websites that store useful info for
Linux audio.

These are probably the most well known:

linuxaudio.org
alsa-project.org
agnula.org
ccrma
ubuntu
gentoo

If someone was to take over managing a docs subdomain at LAO then it would
be handy to compile a links list to all the documentation that is currently
hosted on the sites above and any other sites that are deemed worthy.

However this is at least a three month project and also requires a
concerted effort from the various site admins and contributors to provide
systematic updates. It will also require someone/s to be actively
monitoring for new information as it is released/published. If we were to
provide an automated interface for adding content it would also be helpful.
In my opinion a wiki is not the ideal solution for this particular project
as it leaves too much room for variation of the content being presented.

Better would be to have a form very similar to the form on the vst plugins
page. In fact it wouldn't take long for someone to use the code for that
project as a base. It would be a good project for a newbie to cut their
teeth on and get some web programming experience with fully functional web
server.

If anyone is interested in polishing/learning some web programming skills
let us know.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey