[linux-audio-user] OT: Berlin/LAC

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue Mar 13 19:48:15 EDT 2007

Dmitry Baikov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm going to visit LAC this year and have few questions about Berlin.
>
> 1. Where it is better to buy a notebook [](webshops are ok, if they
> can deliver to the hotel).
> I found one webshop, but they do not reply to my requests. The link
> also shows the hardware I want:
> http://shop.libet.de/product_info.php/info/p2272_HP-nx6325-TL60-15--80GB-1024MB-WXPP-DVDRW-WLAN-BT--DE-.html

you might be able to get sth. similar in Media-Markt or Pro-Markt or
just any computer store in Berlin. - I'm not local there.

your web-shop, offers the possibility to pick it up in Berlin (Left-Bar:
"Selbstabholung") and pay cash ("Barzahlung").

> 1.1 A hard question: can I get a VAT (MwSt.) refund, as a non-EU citizen?

usually you can get a refund at the customs office when you leave the
country. (take the receipt and the item) you need to pay the VAT again
when entering your home-country... - Germany has 19% MwSt.

> 2. How it is better to get to Koeln and back (if it is train, how and
> where to buy tickets) and in which weekday?

Most Germans fly from Cologne (Koeln/Bonn) to Berlin instead of taking
the train. Alas the train is a nice ride (begins along the river Rhein
and ends with along the old BRD-DDR route to Berlin - if you like to
watch out of the window..) - around 100 euro. you can buy the ticket at
any station. I think even in the train (more expensive?) - or via
internet (cheap! http://www.bahn.de )

don't transfer too often, train-delays are quite usual in Germany :)

> 2.1 How much time will it take?

about 4 to 5 hours.

see you there,
robin