[linux-audio-user] Recommendations for SPDIF/AESEBU

Bill Adair adair at gotadsl.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 06:07:22 EDT 2007

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:50:22 -0000, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+la at mega-nerd.com> wrote:

> Bill Adair wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm setting up a hi-end stereo system fed from flacs on a linux based
>> PC.
>> I want to be able to experiment with upsampling algorithms on the hard
>> drive and then feed the digital data stream to a Lavry DA10 at 24/96.
>
> What do you expect to achieve by upsampling before feeding the signal
> into the the DAC and amplifier?

The Perpetual Technologies devices (P-1A D/D & P-3A D/A) were very
successful
  a few years ago with their hardware based upsampling. I'm hoping to
achieve
something similar by writing upsampling code that can operate in non-real
time
on a PC chip. The idea is that the items 2 or 3 songs down a playlist can
be
  upsampled to hard drive whilst waiting to be played. The upsampling
algorithms
can be more convoluted and even multipass if that helps the music.

Bill