[linux-audio-user] Noise problem, qsynth, jack

julien bodd julien.lociuro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 15:52:58 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I use my midi keybord to play soundfonts on qsynth (via jack).
The problem is that  a lot of soundfonts sound bad. I hear some
ssshhhhh noise when I play a note. On some soundfonts this problem
appears with a simple key press (this might be a bad soundfonts), but
on others, it appears only when  I hit the key with more power, or if
I play multiple notes at the same time (then there is sound
saturation)

Also, I have jack Xruns (more and more when using at the same time
freewheeling, mutiple qsynth, hydrogen..)

In general, the sound quality is bad (even when not using qsynth but
zynadd, ...). All of my records are bad.

My PC :
- 1GB ram
- 2.6 Ghz

Sound card :
well..an old soundblaster 128 (could this be the problem?)

My jack configuration is :
- real time
- no memory lock
- soft mode
- force 16bit
- priority : 50
- frames/perdio : 512
- sample rate : 48000
- periods/buffer : 2
- port maximum : 128
- timeout : 2000

it shows as result latency : 21.3 msec

qsynth config :
- sample rate : 48000
- buffer size : 512
- buffer count : 2
- polyphony : 256
- sample format : 16bits

How can I improve sound quality ? (ps : mic & capture are turned off)

thanks a lot !