[linux-audio-user] switching sound cards on the fly?

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Thu Mar 15 20:43:15 EDT 2007

On 3/15/07, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>    My question is whether Alsa has a user level mechanism to allow me
> in a terminal, on the fly, to switch which card Gnome considers my
> default sound card?
>
>    I was wondering about flipping a bit somewhere and directing
> Internet radio in my browser to the stereo instead of the wimpy PC
> speaker we have on my wife's box.

Not currently possible.

I guess to implement this, alsa-lib would have to use inotify to watch
the config files for changes, and the app would register a "sound
device changed" callback that would be invoked when
gnome-sound-properties writes the new .asoundrc.  The callback would
have to close and reopen the default PCM and resume playback.

Lee