[linux-audio-user] To MacBook or not to MacBook, that's the question

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 21:24:01 EDT 2007

> My advice is don't listen to individual experiences as
> they are commonly very biased. Rather, look for what is within your budget
> and perhaps more importantly what you are most comfortable with. Do some
> hands-on research on your own and take the plunge (many companies nowadays
> allow purchases with an unconditional 30-day return policy; my suggestion is
> use this as an opportunity to make an informed decision).

Maybe you can explain what you meant here a bit more?

The don't listen to individual experiences, seems to contradict the do
your own research?

Plus IMO the individual experiences are going to be the majority of
research one can do on a product after it has been out for a while, and
while I believe they must all be taken with a grain of salt(Yours and
Mine both included) you can find trends in things, for example...

> 1) I can't keep it on my lap since it is scalding hot as soon as the laptop
> reaches its operating temperature. Heck, at times I cannot even keep my
> wrist on the computer as the left side gets uncomfortably warm. FWIW, I also
> run a fan applet at all times which keeps fan running at constant speeds of
> 2000+ RPM. Let's just say this does not help much.
> 2) There is a CPU whine which according to some reports can pollute
> recording even if it is only recording internal "silence" (no mic internal
> or external).

Those are both easily verified by individuals reporting their
experiences.  But also as a side question for you personally, apple
released a firmware upgrade that addressed I believe it was the heat,
but may have been the whine, I can't remember which right now.  Did you
ever apply that?

I will agree it takes Apple some time before they recognize a problem
officially, which is why I tihnk it is all the more important to listen
to individual experiences and take them with a grain of salt.

As a side question, does ANYONE on this list happen to know how well the
Airports in the MB and MBP work with linux?  Do they run off the reverse
engineered Broadcom driver that runs the airports on the PB and iBook?

      Seablade