[linux-audio-user] To MacBook or not to MacBook, that's the question

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Sun Mar 18 14:51:31 EDT 2007

On Sun Mar 18, 2007 at 12:54:45PM +0100, Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
> On 3/17/07, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> >> Background noise I would say... and some huge issues with interrupt
> >> handling (but that's any cards on any laptops...) which makes is very
> >> hard not to have xruns.
> >
> >That raises an interesting point - I wonder if Dell would consider
> >"noisy audio" a fatal hardware issue to the same extent that Apple
> >would.
>
> Apple ? The ones that put video capabilities on the audio output of
> their iPod, thus creating the worst of bad quality audio output ever ?
> Since when do they care about audio quality ?
>
> I am very well aware of the unusefulness of my statement ;-) I just
> had to react to this. Something is fatal to Apple only when it comes
> to money, not hardware quality. This is true for 90% of technological
> goods out there. Quality is Just a Marketing Argument (TM)

i do find some of the smaller companies do differentiate on quality, since they can't (afford) to differentiate on heavy marketing/branding/advertising.

f'example ive never had anything from LiteON suck in any way. and nothing has gone wrong with my MSI notebook in 16 months.

and of course they also differentiate on features. not that iRiver/iAudio's FM tuner, longer batter life, FLAC and ogg support, line in, ability to record from line in or FM, video codecs people actually use like Xvid, standard filesystem schema, and lower price all combined are enough to nullify the power of Apple's marketing/aura/distortion-field in the mind of the average consumer-slave...