[linux-audio-user] To MacBook or not to MacBook, that's the question

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Mon Mar 19 06:31:25 EDT 2007

Arnold Krille wrote:
> 2007/3/19, Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org>:
>> OK, <exasperated sigh>, I have to ask this:
>> Are there any laptops out there WHICH DO NOT SUCK??!
>
> Yes, I have an ASUS A6000 which is rather great!
I second Arnolds statement, I got also an Asus A6000 and at least I
would say it sucks less. I got a single core Turion 64 with Nvidia
graphics and I run 64Studio with the propritary Nvidia drivers on it
which I need for my art. Works fine and got low latency out of the box
but Linux should be started with ACPI set to off.
PD is a bit of a pain in 64bit as Arnold said but so far I use the stock
pd and compiled only the externals I missed and needed. Soon I will try
to compile a whole pd from cvs, maybe its better. Some statements of
some pd users about 64 bit are a bit strange indeed.
I compiled csound 5 and it worked well after I learned how to start it
with a good priority so it didnt get interrupted when running in
realtime. Ardour works great and also video applications like Xjadeo and
Cinelerra which certainly benifits from 64bit.
There is some electrical bleeding on the audio output which is also on
external cards like RME Hammerfall Multiface. Balanced cables or playing
from battery helps.

Cheers,

Malte

--