[linux-audio-user] ordering usb sound cards

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Mar 20 00:05:54 EDT 2007

On 3/19/07, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <eric at zhevny.com> wrote:
> I've read some of Christoph Eckert's posts from 2005 about passing index
> options to snd-usb-audio when it gets loaded, but I haven't been able to
> get it to work. There is a builtin mic with the non-functional camera
> that is apparantly on the usb bus, the internal SiS AC'97 device and
> sometimes an edirol ua-25.
>
> Any one of them can end up in any position. I've tried messing with
> options in modprobe.d, but haven't figured out how to make the cards
> stick to their card numbers on each boot.

I don't know about ordering multiple USB devices, but at least you
should be able to force the internal card to be card 0 by passing
index=0 to snd_intel_hda or whatever driver it needs...

(Probably not helpful to you now but the real solution is to address
cards by name, especially now that ALSA will have a usable device
enumeration API in 1.0.14.  So you would configure the streaming
server to stream from "default:UA-25" and monitor "default:HDA-Intel")

Lee