[linux-audio-user] Dead soundcard, or what?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Mar 20 17:40:10 EDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 10:32:46PM +0100, Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
> Mr. Winkler, please, have a seat.
>
> Your sound card arrived at the hospital badly injured. The doctors
> went through every procedures to repair the damage to her. They had to
> upgrade the drivers, plug in some new cables, gave her some medicine,
> but it seems her condition was too delicate to be handled. Mr.
> Winkler, I am sorry to tell you your sound card died this morning.
>
> Eventually, we will arrange a meeting with a priest, and help you
> organise some decent funerals.
>
> May she rest in Piece.
> Amen.

But she was only four years old! (sob)

Oh well. Any recommendations for a consumer-grade card?
My needs are modest:

- a place to attach the cable from my CD-ROM
- Quake3 can open it using mmap
- headphone output sounds tolerably decent
- hopefully will last another 4 years or so :)

For everything else I use a Delta 66.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com