[linux-audio-user] (OT) Affordable Networked Attached Storage?

Michael TD Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Sat Mar 24 06:00:21 EDT 2007

david wrote:
> carmen wrote:

>>> I do just fine using an old midtower system. Upgrading storage is
>>> easier than many of the proprietary NAS devices.
>>
>> my shuttle adds $15 a month to my electric bill. all it really does
>> is hold 2 drives and do some light services which the 266 MHz XScale
>> would be able to handle. i should buy an NSLU2 right now, it will pay
>> for itself in 4 months..
>
> Yup, that's why I've considered replacing my box with such a thing.
> But when I needed to add storage to the box, a 200GB HD was only about
> $70. I get around the electric consumption by not having the server on
> all the time.

Thanks everyone, for your helpful replies. I'm definitely considering
getting an NSLU2 in the near future. Does anyone know what RAID options
are available - I hope that the OpenSLUG firmware would let me run a
software mirror across a couple of USB drives? I think that's all I can
hope for. I'll go try to look it up.

I would still end up with a pile of boxes and cables on the shelf (which
is something I was hoping to avoid), but if it's reliable and affordable
then it might be an acceptable compromise.

Thanks,
Michael