[linux-audio-user] Installing realtime kernel - gentoo ERRORs loading realtime module

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sat Mar 24 18:17:37 EDT 2007

I'm following the directions on the wiki for the RT kernel at:
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Realtime_%28RT%29_Kernel

and I'm at the point of modprobe'ing the realtime module in the
instructions which say:

-----------------
load realtime-lsm

  # modprobe commoncap
  # modprobe realtime gid=18
-----------------

But, I receive this error:

FATAL: Error inserting realtime
(/lib/modules/2.6.16-rt29-tglx4/extra/realtime.ko): Invalid module format--

when modprobe'ing the "realtime" module.

Why is this?  The kernel and the module were compiled with the same tools.

Michel Dominique in the gentoo audio forum suggested to

 # make mrproper"
 # make oldconfig; make
 # remove /lib/modules/2.6.16-rt-tglx4
  # make modules_install
reinstall the kernel and reinstall realtime-lsm

but that didn't change anything.

===
Maybe some hints:
I find that if I rmmod commoncap and then modprobe realtime it works,
realtime loads with no error. However, when I then modprobe commoncap
(with "realtime" already in) I receive the same error as I do above:

FATAL: Error inserting commoncap
(/lib/modules/2.6.16-rt29-tglx4/kernel/security/commoncap.ko): Invalid
module format

I don't know if order is an issue for the loading of these two modules,
but I don't know what the problem is.

With the realtime module loaded and no commoncap, audio plays but is
very very slow.

Any one have any ideas on this?

--
brad fuller