[linux-audio-user] Installing realtime kernel - gentoo ERRORs loading realtime module

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sun Mar 25 19:53:55 EDT 2007

Martin Wohlleben wrote:
> On So, 2007-03-25 at 14:59 -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:

>>> It can't work if JACK is running anyway because all clients are
>>> required to support the server sample rate.
>>>
>> That I know.
>>
>>> WRT realtime, last i heard was that Gentoo does not supply a new
>>> enough version of PAM (0.80 or higher is required)
>>>
>> that I don't know. Bummer...
>>
>> # equery which pam
>> /usr/portage/local/layman/pro-audio/sys-libs/pam/pam-0.78-r6.ebuild
>>
>> Thanks... back to realtime-lsm
>>

> Hi,
>
> pam-0.78-r6 should work. I use this version and jack runs with rt-prio.
> Check your /etc/security/limits.conf for the right entries

Well... it's good to know that version should work. I made sure I had
it. The entries are the same.

> # REALTIME support for audio group users
> @audio          -       rtprio          100
> @audio          -       nice            -10
> @audio          -       memlock         250000
>
> You can also find up to date ebuilds for rt-kernels and audio software
> in the pro-audio overlay. There you can set the use of realtime-lsm by
> setting a USE variable but I'd suggest to go with pam. More information
> can be found in the wiki:
>
> http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

That's what I'm referring to, as I mentioned in my first msg:
I'm following the directions on the wiki for the RT kernel at:
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Realtime_%28RT%29_Kernel

ulimit -l replies
# ulimit -l
250000

So, as Marc-Olivier mentioned, at least that is being read. But, is
there anything else that I can check?

With my latest kernel compile and with the change to the alsamixer to
44.1k (as I mentioned before) running qjackctl
does not say that it can't run realtime, but the "RT" symbol is not
lighted ("Realtime" IS checked in the setup)

Here's a log:

jackd 0.101.1
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
nperiods = 2 for capture
nperiods = 2 for playback
16:43:28.923 Server configuration saved to "/home/bfuller/.jackdrc".
16:43:28.923 Statistics reset.
16:43:29.758 Client activated.
16:43:29.774 Audio connection change.
16:43:29.785 Audio connection graph change.

So, I'm getting there, but I'm not certain that I'm really running jack
in realtime mode.