[linux-audio-user] Installing realtime kernel - gentoo ERRORs loading realtime module

Thomas Kuther gimpel at sonnenkinder.org
Mon Mar 26 15:12:32 EDT 2007

On Mo, 26.03.07 19:48 rob <rob at curates-egg.org> wrote:

> Lee Revell wrote:
> > On 3/25/07, Martin Wohlleben <martin.wohlleben at gmx.de> wrote:
> >> pam-0.78-r6 should work. I use this version and jack runs with
> >> rt-prio. Check your /etc/security/limits.conf for the right entries
> >>
> >> # REALTIME support for audio group users
> >> @audio          -       rtprio          100
> >> @audio          -       nice            -10
> >> @audio          -       memlock         250000
> >
> > Great... another distro patching old PAM versions rather than
> > upgrading...  why?!?
> Perceived level of risk?

tom at SiRiUS ~ $ equery which pam
/home/tom/cvs/proaudio/trunk/overlays/proaudio/sys-libs/pam/pam-0.99.7.1-r1.ebuild

Though 0.78-r6 is marked as stable here, whereas 0.99 is marked as
~arch (testing/unstable). Gentoo stable likes keeping old stuff, because
of stability reasons I'd guess - like debian, or redhat, or whatever
other distro providing stable and testing branches.
But if you want the newer one, just emerge it. You just have to unmask
it.

Also no idea why you are using a 2.6.16 kernel - 2.6.20-rt8 is superb,
at least on my uniproc machine here.

Cheers