[linux-audio-user] ¿La revolución informática realmente revolucionará la música? Linux Audio Conference 2007

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Fri Mar 30 09:26:59 EDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 09:05:15AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:

> Now if you really want to get into it, check out Slonimsky's "History Of
> Musical Invective", it's a compendium of the bad reviews received by
> famous composers. My favorite quote was from Max Reger, responding to an
> unhappy reviewer, something like: "Dear sir, I'm sitting in the smallest
> room of my house, reading your review. I have it before me now, but soon
> it will all be behind me." (Sorry, I don't have the book here.)

Wonderful.

If the review that started this thread shows anything, it would be
the eclectic (good) and divided (less good) nature of the LAC crowd.

One could wonder if the LAC would ever have been associated with
electro-acoustic music at all if the first conference had not been
organized by the ZKM, but IMHO it's a good thing.

As to this year's works, I must admit I was somewhat disappointed.
There were some interesting ones, but also much less inspired stuff.
Somehow many composers started using similar noises: scraping on
metallic objects, flocks of fladdering things, etc. At one point
I was really thinking: someone must have posted some SC3 classes
for these, and now everybody is using them...

Much of what I heared was purely noises. There seems to exists
within the community of EA music composers a fear of traditional
musical elements: rythm, melody, harmony. There is always some
structure in time, but it's very often just the same: building
up to a climax.

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano è questo !