[linux-audio-user] Create high-pitch noises like the mosquito device

Rob lau at kudla.org
Fri Mar 30 21:31:31 EDT 2007

On Friday 30 March 2007 20:31, david wrote:
> Also note that their claim about older people not being able
> to hear it (or younger people being able to hear it) is not
> necessarily true. It depends on the person. By the time I
> finished high school, I probably couldn't hear anything above
> 15KHz courtesy of loud hard rock music. I wouldn't be

It works the other way too.  I lost a lot of my high-frequency
hearing at one rock concert at age 18 (was pressed right up
against the speakers and didn't know enough to stuff my ears
with tissue.)  Now I'm 37.  I can't make out voices if I'm in
proximity to running water or other white noise in the same
frequency range, but I can still hear really high-pitched whines
like the ones CRT's and some security systems make.  I'm sure
there are other adults who'd be annoyed by this thing too.

That said... ear buds and/or spray paint, totally.  Not that
teenagers who are loitering are likely to be wearing ear buds
while they talk to each other, nor are they likely to escalate
to vandalism, but those are options.  Much as some people would
like you to believe that teenagers behave like insects or
rodents, they never have and probably never will.  That device
and its site are comical.  As far as I can tell, the biggest
change that's come about as a result of its existence is that
teenagers now have ringtones that they can hear and most adults
can't:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5434687

But who knows, maybe the next time I go to the mall in a year or
two maybe I'll hear "eeeee, eeeee, eeeee....."

Rob