[linux-audio-user] Making impulse responses

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sat Mar 31 23:47:24 EDT 2007

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 07:14:53PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:
> Any special tricks or tips for making impulse responses?
>
> I see that chuck has a ugen called "impulse" that makes
> single-sample little impulse glitches. I suppose I'd use that to
> generate one, then play it through speakers or something.

I tried that once, it didn't work.  The single-sample-impulse
supposedly works well when feeding eg. a digital reverb, but when I
tried to feed it into speakers, I didn't hear anything at all.  YMMV.

> Or, any
> other tips for preparing a wav file for impulse response,
> particularly for use with JACE?

I've heard there's a way to use white noise to measure frequency
response and then convert that into an impulse response?
Anyone?

> Alas, a lot of the good impulse responses I want (i.e. a spring
> reverb, a forest) are in some proprietary Alesis format, and I can't
> use them.  But it might be fun to wander around making my own, if I
> can borrow the correct kind of gear for doing that.

I made some poor man's impulse responses by popping baloons.  Then I
lost the files :-(

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com