[LAU] A while back someone was looking for an audio player that works fine with Linux?

bernie arai bernie.arai at gmail.com
Tue May 1 01:56:14 EDT 2007

On 4/30/07, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> Awhile back, someone on the list was asking about an MP3 player type of
> thing that could also be used as a portable music recording device.
>
> An audiophile friend of mine has an iAudio LX5 or XL5 (something like
> that, I forget the last part of the model). It has a very very clean
> stereo line-in connection, and can record audio as FLAC or WAV. He's
> been using it to digitize his collection of vinyl albums. Tonight we
> listened to the digitized version of a performance of Handel's concerti
> grossi (the vinyl is over 40 years old). The digitized sound quality was
> marvelous.
>
> It works beautifully with Linux - just plug in the USB cable and his
> Linux systems see the 30GB hard drive with no problems.

i have the x5 (less battery, 30gb) and recommend it highly as well.  how
does your friend get FLAC or WAV recording from the line in?  i can only
record to mp3.  maybe i need a firmware update?

my only gripes about the x5 are the limited way of browsing the collection
(only a basic file browser) and the fact that you need to use an
adapter/dongle for a line-in jack (and usb and power and line out).

i would have tried out rockbox on it, but i'm worried about the battery
usage, which the rockbox site doesn't look too optimistic about.  anyone
have any good stories about using rockbox on this player?