[LAU] ANNOUNCE: PHASEX v0.10.0

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu May 3 16:26:43 EDT 2007

On Thursday 03 May 2007 05:15, William Weston wrote:
> Announcing the latest release of the Phase Harmonic Advanced Synthesis
> EXperiment (first release featuring a GUI), available for download (source
> tarball and FC6 RPMs) at:
>
>  http://sysex.net/phasex/
>
> PHASEX is an experimental softsynth for Linux/ALSA/JACK systems with a
> good mix of standard and experimental features.  Here's a quick
> overview of what PHASEX offers:
>
> * GTK GUI:  Every paramater is available through the GUI, with parameter
> names right-clickable for on-the-fly MIDI controller mapping and
> middle-clickable for parameter help.
>
> * 4 Osc / 4 LFO:  Oscs and LFOs support multiple sources: MIDI key, tempo,
> envelopes, and inputs, all with selectable unipolar/bipolar scaling.
> Wavetable includes the basic wave shapes, both bandlimited and
> non-bandlimited.  Per-osc and per-LFO transpose, pitchbend, and init
> phase.
>
> * Modulations:  Full AM, FM, and PM (in this case, modulation of phase
> offset between left and right channels) routing with per-osc controls.
> Each osc can be modulated by any osc or LFO for AM, FM, of PM.  Wave
> select modulation by LFO modulators is alsa available.
>
> * Filter:  Modified Chamberlin filter with LP, HP, BP, BS, LP+BP, HP+BP,
> LP+HP, and BS+BP modes, distortion and retro (clean) types, keyfollow
> modes, ADSR envelope, and LFO cutoff modulation.
>
> * ADSR Envelope:  Standard ADSR envelopes for amplifier and filter.
>
> * Chorus:  Stereo crossover chorus with builtin phaser.
>
> * Delay:  Stereo crossover delay with LFO modulation capability.
>
> * Key Modes:  Mono smooth, mono retrigger, mono multikey (round-robin
> mapping of MIDI keys to individual oscs), and full poly modes are
> available.
>
> * Input Processing:  Inputs may be routed to any combination of oscs and
> LFOs.  Input boost allows weaker sources to be brought up to level of
> oscs.  Envelope follower applies input envelope to output.
>
> * Sampling Modes:  Supports undersampling and oversampling, giving control
> over the ever present quality vs. CPU tradeoff.
>

> Since this is the first public release of PHASEX with a GUI, feedback is
> highly encouraged.  The project goal is to provide a synthesizer to
> experimental and professional musicians alike that is as easy and
> enjoyable to use as it is powerful.  The next batch of new parameters and
> features will be a result of feedback from the community, so please, don't
> be shy.
>

> Cheers!
> --ww

I'm having problems getting this to install, and run. Fc2 doesn'r have the
reqired version og GTK. It installs ok on FC5, but when trying to run it the
mouse, and keyboard lock up, and I have to do a hard reset. I install the rpm
on FC6 on the same machine. I didn't have music stuff installed, so install
jack-audio-connection-kit, and qjackctl. Jack for some reason won't even
start, so have no way to see if your synth works.

If someone is viewing this post, perhaps they could let me know on which linux
distro they have got this synth to work.

I've already been through all this sort of crap with Om. It needed all the
latest & greatest libraries to get it to install, and in the end I gave up on
it.

If Phasex is going the same way, as good as it looks, I think I will pass on
it. It's too much hassle to install and run it.

I would like to try this synth, as the the only synth we have at present is
ZynAddSubFx, putting aside the modular ones.

A bit of feedback on how to get this synth to work would be welcome.

Nigel.