[LAU] [OT] micamp: tube or not tube?

Andrew Gaydenko a at gaydenko.com
Thu May 10 12:20:55 EDT 2007

Hi!

The aim is to record a vocal + an acoustic guitar in home studio. As for mics themselfs,
a decision is done (it will be russian Oktava MK-219). Now, mic preamp must be selected.
There are two "main streams" - tube preamps (ART TPS II, Nady TMP-2 and such in this
price category). But there are "not-tube" variants also. The thing is, I don't know what
to prefer. Thinking logically, it is worth to avoid any "tube excitations" because
(I suggest) all "tube warmings" or such may be added, if needed, during a mastering.

What can you say?

Andrew