[LAU] [OT] micamp: tube or not tube?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri May 11 19:07:30 EDT 2007

Andrew Gaydenko wrote:

> The aim is to record a vocal + an acoustic guitar in home studio. As for mics themselfs,
> a decision is done (it will be russian Oktava MK-219). Now, mic preamp must be selected.
> There are two "main streams" - tube preamps (ART TPS II, Nady TMP-2 and such in this
> price category). But there are "not-tube" variants also. The thing is, I don't know what
> to prefer. Thinking logically, it is worth to avoid any "tube excitations" because
> (I suggest) all "tube warmings" or such may be added, if needed, during a mastering.

Well, it would be nice if you could borrow the equipment and do some
comparisons. It's pretty hard to guess the results.

As an alternative, get a preamp that allows you to blend a tube input
stage and a solid state input stage and use variable proportions of
each. I've a Studio Projects VTB-1 :

http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/vtb1.html

It's reasonably good, it's about $120 online. You can tell it's not a
piece of equipment worth thousands of $$$, but for what I need it's OK.

Of course, you can always get a linear, solid state preamp such as the
FMR Audio RNP8380 (a.k.a. the Really Nice Preamp)...

http://www.fmraudio.com/RNP8380.htm

...and process the track with some kind of "tube filter" later. But
first make sure that the end result is indeed what you need - i.e., do
tests, listen carefully, compare, take notes.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/